Skip to main content

My Health Journey

Well it's been ages since I've actually published a blog post (since March to be exact).  I have quite a few sitting in my drafts just waiting to be finished but I just never seem to have the time or the energy.  But I've had some things weighing on me lately that I finally felt the need to sit down, write out and share.

Two months ago, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and a severe vitamin d deficiency.  A week ago, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease along with my vitamin d deficiency.  I went from no diagnosis to one irritating diagnosis to an even more irritating auto-immune disease diagnosis.  It's been a bit of a whirlwind but I'm actually relieved that I finally have an answer to what has been going on because it's been going on for a long time.  Let's look back.

When I was pregnant with Davis (2015-2016), the anxiety started.  Normal considering he was a pregnancy after loss.  After he was born, I suffered from PPD.  I took the antidepressants prescribed by my OB and I felt better within a week  I stopped taking the meds within a few months (February of 2017).  Regardless, recovery after Davis was much harder than any of my other kids and it took about a year until I felt somewhat normal again and I still have pain to this day.

Flash forward to November of 2017.  I went to the hospital with a terrible pain in my leg.  I couldn't walk, I was feverish, shaking and just sick.  I was septic when I got to the hospital.  They scrambled to figure out what was wrong but were never really able to tell me exactly what was wrong or why it had happened.  Their best guess was an infection in my blood caused by cellulitis in my leg.  It took a few days for the doctors to figure out the correct antibiotics and I was finally sent home after five days.  I had an allergic reaction to the Percocet they gave me in the hospital and to one of the antibiotics they gave me when I left.  It took weeks for my leg to heal.

Flash forward to the following November (2018).  I went to my doctor for what I thought was an ear infection.  As I answered their typical questionnaire, the doctor realized that not only did I have an ear infection and respiratory infection, I also had depression.  My doctor ordered some standard tests and prescribed me my usual antidepressant and sent me on my way.

All of my blood work came back normal.  Nothing to be seen.  I had specifically asked for a thyroid panel and it all came back normal.

I took my meds and realized they were giving me more anxiety so my doctor switched me to Lexapro.  That was a mistake.  I felt worse on that than I had before I started taking any meds.  So I weaned myself off so I could see how I would feel.

The depression didn't go away.  It got worse.  The insomnia got worse.  The headaches, the fatigue, the muscle aches.  It all got worse and more symptoms were cropping up each month.  I just figured it was all party of my depression.

When I went for my annual OB appointment (September 2019), my OB felt a nodule on my thyroid.  She insisted I get it checked by my PCP.  I saw my doctor the following week and she ordered labs again and sent me for an ultrasound of my thyroid.

My labs came back with numbers indicating hypothyroidism and the ultrasound came back showing many tiny nodules on my thyroid, consistent with Hashimoto's disease.  She immediately started me on Levothyroxine and referred me to and Endocrinologist.

The first month on the meds, I noticed my mood had improved, my anxiety wasn't as persistent and my paresthesia was practically gone.  I still wasn't sleeping well and I still had ZERO energy.  This is the most crippling part of this disease.  The extreme exhaustion.  I can't even explain it.

During the second month, all of my symptoms came back, worse than before.  It was like the medicine had just somehow stopped working altogether.  It was very discouraging.

I was able to get in to see the Endocrinologist in November.  She went over my entire history, symptoms, medications, recent blood results.  She wanted to take the labs again for my thyroid and switch me to the non-generic brand of the medication I was on (Synthroid).  She called me the next day to tell me that I tested positive for the Hashimoto's anitbodies so that was my official diagnosis.

So now here I am.  Trying to figure this shit out.  The Synthroid has helped my anxiety and exhaustion but has turned me into a raving lunatic.  I'm hoping it's just my body still adjusting to the meds.  I've been incredibly moody and irritable and I'm to the point where I'm even annoying myself.

I've been doing tons of research about different things to try.  Most of them involve some sort of extreme diet change, which I'm terrified of.  I have the palate of a toddler (as my best friend likes to put it) so I am finding it difficult to commit to any specific diet.

The autoimmune protocol (AIP) diet is the most extreme diet that has been mentioned.  It's basically completely stripping your diet down.  No grains, dairy, refined sugar, processed foods, nuts, etc.  It basically takes away everything I eat and then has me slowly reintroducing foods to find my triggers.
More research concludes that going gluten free can be beneficial  Other people say they haven't made very many diet changes and they've been fine.  It's been a lot of overwhelming information to say the least.  I'm trying to process it all before the new year so I can start my year off with a plan.

So this is where I'm at.  This is why I've been more quiet on social media.  I've kept it all to myself for the longest time because I didn't want to admit that depression had gotten the best of me.  Turns out, I was right.  It wasn't specifically depression but my asshole thyroid wreaking havoc on my body.

My husband doesn't get it.  He basically just thought I've been depressed and lazy for the past two years.  Now that we have an official diagnosis, he still doesn't get it.  I feel completely alone in this.  It's been difficult to maneuver around all of this and it has taken a huge toll on our marriage (not that there aren't other things adding to it).  My kids have suffered because Mommy is always tired and now because Mommy is always grouchy.  It's been rough.

But now that I know, I can research.  I can try things out.  I have a food journal that I will start to use to figure out how certain foods make me feel and try to eliminate them if they make me feel like shit.  I have supplements, recommendations from my Endocrinologist as well as other people.  And I have friends.  One friend in particular who also suffers an from autoimmune disease.  And while her disease is different from mine, she at least understands how I'm feeling and can help me find ways to figure this out because she's been through it all.

I posted about my diagnosis on social media, just a brief 'hey this is what I have and it sucks so tell me about your experience with it' and the replies were astounding.  So many people I never knew were suffering.  I've gotten some really good advice from many of those people and I'm so happy that I have people I can turn to for advice.

So that's it.  I have a shitty autoimmune disease and I'm trying to figure it.  If you suffer too, hit me up so we can chat.  This shit sucks and it helps to have others to talk to.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

A Few New Things...

First off, I have 15 followers!  I am so grateful to have more followers.  I can't even tell you how great it makes me feel to know that people want to read my blog.  Through all of the linking up I have been doing, I have 15 followers and I have found a TON of new blogs to read.  I am really enjoying reading them all every day!! In case you don't believe me.......................... I know 15 doesn't seem like a lot but it's a lot to me.  It means the world to me to have people interested in my life.  The second change is that I added a new page.  It's my Summer Bucket List .  I posted this list a little while ago but I know that I will forget about it so I added it as a page.  Now I can actually cross things off as I do them.  I have already crossed one thing off the list and I hope to cross them all off by the end of the Summer!  I guess the end of the Summer would be September 21st so I have until then.  And if I don't get them all crosse