Skip to main content

And You Wonder Why

If I was going to be that overprotective, I-will-stab-you-in-the-throat-if-you-come-near-my-kid, crazy Mom, this would be a valid reason as to why:

Etan Patz - READ THIS ARTICLE

I mean seriously?

Do we remember this one?  Leiby Kletzky - READ THIS ARTICLE

When I was growing up, my sister and I walked to the bus stop every day.  Our parents didn't walk with us, we walked on our own.  And we were usually fighting so one of us was always ahead of the other.  My ten year old nephew is not allowed to walk to the bus stop on his own.  It's not because he's not old enough.  It's because of articles like the ones I posted above.  You can't let your kids go anywhere or do anything without the threat of them being kidnapped by some maniac!

I get nervous if my nephew is outside playing and no one is out there with him.  I mean really?  My husband was chasing his brothers and sisters through the woods at the age of 5, not setting a foot in the house until who knows what time.  My sister and I were always outside, usually in a fenced yard, but still outside.  You can't even do that anymore.  You can't let your kids do anything anymore.

At what age will I allow my daughter to walk to the bus stop on her own?  At what age will I allow my daughter to ride her bike in whatever neighborhood we live in without us?  At what age will I allow my daughter to go to the mall with her friends unchaperoned?  At what age will I allow my daughter to start dating? (NEVER!)

Unfortunately, articles like the ones I posted above don't help my daughter out at all.  Yes, sweetheart, I will still walk you to the bus stop at 16 if you will allow me to because I want nothing bad to happen to you ever.  That or you have to take Karate classes.  Your choice.

I can't imagine what it must be like for parents to lose children in these horrible ways.  I can't imagine how it must feel to not know what happened to your son for all of those years.  I still hold onto hope that Baby Lisa Irwin is alive and well somewhere because I can't even imagine the other possibility. 

Yup, this, folks (hate using this word but seems so appropriate right here), is the reason we have overprotective, I-will-stab-you-in-the-throat-if-you-come-near-my-kid, crazy Moms in the world.  Can you blame them?  

Comments

  1. We live in a pretty quiet neighborhood, and our home is very close to my son's school. When I was a kid, I lived in a similar neighborhood that was also very close to my school. I used to walk to and from school every day with two neighbor friends, but I don't know if I will ever allow my kids to do the same. Since it's gotten warmer out, our school district has sent home two different letters about creepers lurking around the area. It's a scary world out there. We have to do everything in our power to protect our babies. And if I have to stab someone in the throat to make sure my kids are safe, then that's just how it's gotta be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived about a mile from my school and there were times when I walked home alone. We were never worried about that kind of thing. My nephew lives in that same neighborhood but I would NEVER envision him walking to or from school, or even the bus stop, which is only about a block and a half away!

      "And if I have to stab someone in the throat to make sure my kids are safe, then that's just how it's gotta be." -- This gave me a good laugh!! But isn't it the truth!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

No More Bumpdates!!

Our little guy finally came! It's a crazy story that I will try to share this week but for now I will leave you with this... Bryan Paul Miller, II August 25, 2013, 9:22pm 7lbs 13oz, 20 inches