Skip to main content

Happy Mother's Day!

I'd like to say that my first Mother's Day was the most amazing day of my life and I can't even believe how awesome it was and that it blew away every expectation that I had.  Sadly, this is not the case.  So, instead of focusing on the what-we-dids and what-we-gots of Mother's Day, I'm going to focus on why I am so incredibly lucky to be a mommy Ashlyn's mommy. 

Let me start by saying that every day is Mother's Day when you get to wake up to this sweet little face.  I mean, there isn't anything more amazing in this world then opening up the nursery door to see two little feet sticking up in the air and being greeted with a HUGE smile!  She melts my heart from the second I lay my eyes on her.


Unfortunately, my eyes were layed on her at 6am Saturday morning!  And there was no sleeping in like normal because she was AWAKE!  I guess she just wanted to get our weekend started a little sooner.

We spent the whole day Saturday playing, napping, eating, cleaning.  Well she napped, I didn't.  It's like she knows it's our day together and she is making the most of every moment we have because she was just the best baby ever.

We played on the play mat

We played in the bouncer

We ate green beans

We had a great time.  Then we went to dinner with friends for a 40th birthday.  The restaurant was about an hour away but baby girl napped for most of the car ride.  She was such a good little girl and everyone loved her!


Even though she was out of her element and a little off schedule, Baby Girl slept the whole ride home.  We put her in her crib when we got home and she slept perfectly.  Since her last bottle was around 8, I knew she would be waking up a bit earlier than usual.  Do I know my girl or what?  4:30am came pretty quickly!  This time, she fell back to sleep!

So then we started our Sunday, Mother's Day.  After greeting me at 4:30am, she slept until 8:30.  She's a little rock.  I was showered and had a pretty good start to being ready for church when she finally woke up!  We got her all dressed in her pretty dress and headband and headed out.


I actually took these pictures at the end of the day

We had breakfast at church, and the men served the women for a change!  They made a great breakfast and it was nice that we didn't have to get up for it! 

After church, we made a few stops (Lowe's for some planters and the card store) because Mommy is a procrastinator, and then we were on our way to see my Mom and Grandmother.  Ashlyn got each of them a planter and she sat with them and planted the flowers.  Those pictures are on my real camera and will come later. 

She wasn't as into it as I thought she would be but she did well.  She played in the dirt for all of a minute and then stuck her hands in her mouth.  Should I have expected anything less?

We had dinner with my family and then headed home.  The day was what it was.  So now let me pour my swollen heart out and tell you why I am the luckiest woman alive!

________________________________________________________

This little girl truly is my angel and she is probably the only thing that keeps me sane.  I think about her every second of every day.  She is changing so much and so quickly, it's overwhelming!  Last week, she didn't even want to try baby food.  This week, she opens her mouth to the spoon.  Last week, she wasn't interested in her bouncer.  This week, she played with the toys.  Last week, she hardly touched any of her toys.  This week, she slams them on her highchair tray until she drops them on the floor and Mommy picks them up!


I knew she would change quickly but I never expected it all to happen all at once!  It feels like I'll be shipping her off to college tomorrow.  She is just changing so much. 

My Aunt posted a comment on my Facebook page:  "You are an excellent mother!! I love the way your heart blossomed. I can tell you that it will only fill more and more each day. You will have days when you know your heart is full and then she will add more love to it. You now fully understand the blessing it is to have a child."

Wow!  I am an excellent mother!!  Am I?  I can't even believe I am a mother let alone an excellent one!  Sometimes I just sit and hold Ashlyn and whisper in her ear, 'you're all mine' because I actually have to remind myself of that sometimes.

I love the way your heart blossomed.  Yea because I'm a jerk and now I'm a sappy jerk.  It's all good.

I can tell you that it will only fill more and more each day. You will have days when you know your heart is full and then she will add more love to it.  You have no idea how incredibly true this is for me.  There are so many times when my heart feels so full that I think it's going to burst! 

You now fully understand the blessing it is to have a child.  I'm not really sure there is anything to say other than, yes, yes I do. 

Another blogger writes:

"I didn't quite understand this kind of love until I laid eyes on G for the very first time. I was completely exhausted by that point & still in a semi-ambient sleepyhead coma, but I will never forget that moment. Ben brought him over to me all bundled up and we got face to face. He was perfect; he was mine. It was one of those moments where I felt like my heart would literally burst.

The great thing about being a mama is that those moments happen all the time. That first time our baby boy said mama? Those afternoons when I would pick him up from daycare and he would get the biggest smile on his face? Those first few wobbly steps? Watching him make his first friends? When he looks at us before bed and says "nigh nigh, love you?" All of those moments give me that same my-heart-will-burst-with-happiness-at-any-given-moment feeling. There is nothing better!"

Can you explain it any better?  The my-heart-will-burst-with-happiness-at-any-given-moment feeling is my favorite kind of feeling!  I feel it when she wakes up in the morning and gives me that big Ashlyn smile!  I feel it when I pick her up from my Mom's house after daycare and get the same big Ashlyn smile!  I feel it when she looks at me and laughs.  I feel it when she reaches a new milestone.  I feel it when I watch my screen saver at work flash with all of her pictures.

I never expected to enjoy being a Mom as much as I do.  I really didn't.  I was never a big fan of other people's kids (with the rare exception of some close friends) so I never expected to be a fan of my own.  Harsh?  Yes, but true.  But let me tell you.  I.was.wrong.

Now I feel like the luckiest woman in the world to be the Mother of such an amazing little angel.  She makes me smile every day.  I can't help myself...I laugh when she laughs, I ache when she cries and I love her more  than anything in this world!

Because of some unforeseen issues on my part, Baby Girl and I didn't get a good picture all day.  My first Mother's Day and I have no pictures to show for it :(  I did snap these from my phone at the end of the day.  They aren't great but they are all I have.



When I expressed my sadness for not getting a good frame-worthy picture of me and my girl to a co-worker and friend, she said "good thing you have her forever."  Well that kind of slapped me in the face.  Of course I have her forever!  She also said I should choose another day to 're-do' Mother's Day and take a picture then.  I may just have to do that.  Good call Lisa!

How was your Mother's Day?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

No More Bumpdates!!

Our little guy finally came! It's a crazy story that I will try to share this week but for now I will leave you with this... Bryan Paul Miller, II August 25, 2013, 9:22pm 7lbs 13oz, 20 inches