Skip to main content

HFMD

Hand, foot, and mouth disease is a common viral illness that usually affects infants and children younger than 5 years old. However, it can sometimes occur in adults. Symptoms of hand, foot, and mouth disease include fever, blister-like sores in the mouth (herpangina), and a skin rash. (http://www.cdc.gov/hand-foot-mouth/about/index.html)
Are you kidding me?
Blister-like sores in the mouth?
Why do things like this even exist? What purpose does an illness like this that just torments little babies (and their parents) serve? 
This stupid illness is currently 'running it's course' through my poor son. One week before his first birthday. Apparently it's 'going around' as the doctor so nicely explained. 
Fortunately we only had one really bad day where he was not eating or drinking much and was just miserable. He was back to his usually happy self in no time even with blisters in his mouth.
So this week, while my husband is away for work in Chicago and while I'm planning a first birthday party, I also have to nurse a sick boy back to health the best I can while keeping his sister and myself from getting this shit.
Keeping the two of them apart has been difficult but Ashlyn is showing no signs of the illness yet. I will be so thankful if I can keep her clear of this so we can have the first birthday party on Sunday. 
Keep us in your thoughts!
On a side note, does anyone else get highly freaked out when having to be home alone at night and overnight? I've never been able to really be by myself so I get freaked out very easily.
And it always seems like freaky things happen when my husband isn't home. Take Monday night, for instance. The first night my husband is gone and someone is knocking on our door at 9:30. 
Maybe the dog barking spooked him but by the time I got to the front door (armed) the person was already pulling out of our driveway. I watched him pull up to a neighbor's house and knock on their door, and then leave after a short conversation with the neighbor. Maybe asking for directions?
Really not smart to be knocking on random doors at night when you're kind of in the middle of nowhere. 
Have you ever had weird stuff happen when the husband wasn't home?


Comments

  1. When my husband was deployed and I lived alone, with my two dogs, I had a scary thing happen that forever freaked me out. At about 3 in the morning I awoke and sat in the darkness, I don't know what had waken me, but the dogs were stirring, then a big "KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK" at our front door and the dogs went crazy. Of course, I didn't have an alarm at the time, but I went up the door and peeped out the peep hole. I was terrified to see who was out there. Turns out it was my neighbor and he was drunk :( ever since then I have slept with a pillow on my head to block out the silence at night, if I do awake without my pillow, I freak out! It's such a weird habit to pick up, but I hate hearing the silence at night and I'm always "hunting" with my ears for anything small.

    Hannah also had the HFMD a month ago, she had blisters as well. We would have never know .. if we didn't bring her in. In only lasted a few days, but she was a miserable mess of snotty nose. She woke up SO many times during the night for about 4 weeks straight.

    I hope he feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I'm not sure I would have even gone to the door! I probably would have just freaked out and called the cops. We have a lot of firearms in our house so we are always prepared but it's still scary! 'Hunting' with your ears....sounds just like me! Any tiny noise is someone breaking in! The hfmd was terrible but I'm happy my guy was so content through it. We only had one really bad day so I'm thankful for that.

      Delete
  2. I am so super paranoid about opening the door for anyone- especially when there are all these local scams that involve people pretending to sell things and they are really just trying to see if anyone’s home so they can break in. UGH. I’m so sorry about the hand/foot/mouth illness…I worry that Dylan will catch it because he’s in daycare and you know that’s where that shit breeds! Cannot believe he’s almost a year. And damn that kid is a champion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!