Skip to main content

Around Here

Well, we moved.  It only took us three months to get our house almost done so we could move in.  We really didn't want to move in until everything little thing was done but it just wasn't possible.  So, while we still have a few small projects to complete, the house is looking great and we moved in.

I will be posting a lot of before and after photos on Instagram so if you don't already follow me and you want to, my user name is vmiller0918. 

 
Of course we are already making future plans for the house  I'd love to add an addition with another bedroom or two and another bathroom.  My husband is also planning to build a beautiful pond and waterfall in our back yard.  For now, we are just happy to be living in our new home.  The kids seem to be enjoying it as well.
 
~
 
We had two not so awesome things happen within the first two weeks of us living in this new house.  The hardwood floors are great but they are also quite slippery when wearing socks.  So, while I was taking laundry down to the basement, I slipped on the basements steps and fell right on my ass on the bottom step.  I was only three steps from the bottom when I slipped but man did that hurt.  I'm pretty sure I bruised or fractured my tailbone because I haven't been able to sit correctly since it happened three weeks ago.
 
Then the week after we moved in, I found that Ashlyn had lice.  How did she get lice, you ask?  I have no idea!  I went back and checked with all of the people she had been in contact with the month prior, play dates, family visits, etc.  I can't figure out how she got it.  And it was bad.  I've never had any experience with lice so I thought she had dirt in her hair at first and then I started Googling. 
 
I called the pediatrician and explained the situation and they pretty much just confirmed it over the phone.  They recommended I get Nix, which I did, and it really didn't do much.  So I soaked her hair in coconut and tea tree oil over night, washed it every morning and combed through it like a mofo.  It wasn't until I was three days in that I realized the plastic combs are crap and sent my husband to get the steel combs instead.  Once I started using the steel comb, everything was much easier.
 
Ashlyn was so good about it.  I told her that I needed to comb through her hair so much to get rid of whatever was making it itchy.  I didn't want to freak her out by telling her she had little bugs crawling around in her hair.  She did very well with the combings, sitting still every single time. 

I was lucky enough to get rid of it within a week.  Little Bryan didn't get it.  I found a few bugs on him but I got them off before they had a change to lay any eggs.  My husband was lucky enough to not get it as well.  Weird since Ashlyn is always in our dam bed.  Go figure that I got it, but barely.  I was lucky. 
 
I'm so glad that I got rid of it so quickly but I don't ever want to do that again.  I did combings twice a day, I washed whatever blanket and clothing everyone wore every day.  I put the pillows in the dryer on the hottest setting for an hour every day.  I vacuumed the beds daily and vacuumed all around the house daily.  I was really diligent with it and I think that's why I got rid of it so easily.  Still....never again!  I've added tea tree oil to the shampoo and conditioner to help.
 

Anyone else have any experience with lice?

~

We've already celebrated two birthdays in the new house.  Bryan turned two!  We only had a few people over but he had so much fun on his birthday.  I'll write another blog post about that.

We also had a surprise 75th birthday party for my grandmother.  Her birthday isn't until the 23rd but we felt like a Labor Day picnic was a good cover.  She was totally surprised.  Her favorite party was the cake.  She loves swans and so we had swans put on the cake. 


Gag gift

Someone else wanted cake


Four generations of ladies right there
For her actual birthday next week, we will take her to Cracker Barrel, her favorite place to eat, and get her a cake.  I didn't give her my gifts at the party so I'll give them to her next week.

~

If you follow me on IG, you know it's an emotional month for me as this is the month Colson was due.  On my grandmother's birthday to be exact.  I still have a lot of sadness and anger over losing Colson.  I'm still bitter.  That's about the only way to describe it.  I've got people all around me announcing pregnancies, genders, births and I should be celebrating with them!  But I'm not.  And I can't help but feel really bitter about it. 

It's going to be an emotional month. 

Comments

  1. I left a comment and not sure it worked - So I'm going to try one more time.
    So glad you moved into your new house!
    Scary about the lice! I've added tea tree oil to my list - i already forgot about it and we just emailed the other week. :)
    And you'll get though this month! 2 years later July is still hard for me. It's just going to be for the rest of my life and you know that's ok, it means we aren't forgetting our little babies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!