Skip to main content

We Don't Sleep

This kid is giving me a run for my money. He is definitely much more needy than his sister ever was. He will lay on his play mat for maybe 20 minutes before he gets restless and wants to be held. He doesn't self soothe very well and he doesn't fall asleep on his own very well.

Speaking of sleep, I get none. He sleeps most of the day and trying to keep him awake is almost impossible. So you know that means. He doesn't want to sleep at night. He eats every 2-3 hours throughout the night and likes to stay awake in between each feeding most nights. The kid is so
exhausted by morning but he fights sleep like the plague.

He will sleep 3-5 hour shifts throughout the day but I can't get him to do it at night. He also has a hard time sleeping in his bassinet. He would much rather be snuggled up against me to sleep. Unfortunately I have been letting him sleep like that just so I can get some sleep. During they day? Kid will sleep anywhere! His swing, his bouncy chair, his play mat, even his bassinet. But at night? Nope...just wants to snuggle.

This was right around the time we started to sleep train Baby Girl but she slept much better than he does so I'm not sure he's ready. He does not 'cry it out'. We used this method with Baby Girl though she really only cried the first two nights and has been sleeping through the night ever since.

I try to keep the rooms well lit during the day and keep the bedroom dark at night to help him figure out the difference.  I try not to let him nap in his bassinet or crib during the day to help him with the space difference. I try not to hold him too much during the day so he can't snuggle and sleep. I just can't seem to get him on track.

Hopefully he gets the hang of it soon because dealing with him all night and the toddler during the day has me exhausted and one pillow away from the loony bin. Trying to get the two of them to nap at the same time so I can nap is almost I possible too. I need to get this kid on a schedule soon.

(Now the past few nights, he has been better.  He still wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat but he has been going right back to sleep after he eats so we have been getting a bit more sleep.  I think he was going through a growth spurt because he slept all day long as well.  Yesterday he pretty much refused to sleep at all so he was extremely cranky and clingy all day long. He still woke up almost every two hours to eat overnight but he fell back to sleep pretty easily.  Hopefully today will be filled with better naps, followed by better nighttime sleep!)

Other than the sleeping, he is very sweet and very snugly. He is not nearly as independent as his big sister was. But his little coos and smiles are the cutest. He was smiling and cooing away at the lights and animals on his bouncy chair this morning.  I can't even begin to explain the love I have for this little guy. I'm so glad that he is a boy and I get to experience this different kind of love. It's unexplainable but it is a different kind of love.

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear about his sleep. I do know that formula takes longer to digest so formula babies start sleeping through the night faster than breastfed babies. In fact, Taylor was still getting up once duirng the night at 4 months and then one night we gave her a bottle of formula before bed and she slept right through. We continued that for her entire breastfed "career". Hey - this mama wanted sleep! Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're able to get some rest soon! My second kid was horrible at sleeping too. Guess they want the nighttime attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek, my little guy was a big night eater in the beginning too. The only difference is that he hated snuggling up and wanted his own space. I envy the fact he wants to cuddle with mommy, I think you guys will share a strong bond because of it. It must be next to impossible to get nap while he naps during the day because you have your daughter to take care of, so I hope somehow you're able to catch up on rest this weekend. <3!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!