Skip to main content

To My Son, On His First Birthday in Heaven

Dear Colson,

It's been one year.

One whole year since my world stopped and everything changed.

One whole year since I held you way too soon.

Seems like such a long time and yet my heart aches as if it just happened yesterday.

The months after losing you were so hard.  I thought about you all the time, cried for you, tried to figure out what I could have done to keep you here with us.  I tried not to blame myself for losing you but who else could I blame?  Your Daddy and I talked about you almost every day for those first few months.  How could we not?  We missed you so much.

As the months went on, it got a little easier, a little less painful.  Life became distracting and it actually helped a little.  We were happy to be doing something new in our lives but sad that you weren't going to be a part of it as we had planned.  I think you would have loved our new house, especially the big playroom.

Your due date was so hard.  We were supposed to be bringing you home in September but you were already gone.  I'm so thankful for the people who sent flowers and checked in on your due date.  That was a really hard day and it was so nice to have people thinking of us.  I always appreciate when people check in or talk about you. 

I have good days and bad days.  Days when I think about you non stop and days when I barely have a second to think about you.  Days when I think about you and smile and days when I think about you and get angry that you are gone.  Days when I cry and days when I don't.  Days when I'm excited for your new little brother in my belly and days when I feel guilty about him.

When I ask your sister how many brothers she has, she says she has three.  That makes my heart so happy.  She knows who you are and even if she doesn't completely understand it, she knows that you are her brother.

I know that you would have been such an awesome little brother to your siblings and they would have loved you so much.  I'm so sad that you will never know them.  I'm so sad that I don't get to watch you grow up next to them. 

On your first birthday in Heaven, we will send some balloons to you.  We will send a lantern to you at the exact time you were born.  We will light your candle, we will cry and we will miss you.

We will wonder what you would have looked like, if you would have had as much hair as your siblings, who you would have taken after, which sibling you would have been the most attached to, how you would have slept, if you would have said mama or dada first.  So many things.

I can't really describe the ache in my heart.  I can't fully explain how I feel about losing you.  I don't think there really are any words that would do it justice.  Not having you here with us will never get easier.  You will always be gone and there will always be a little hole in my heart.

I hope you can feel me.  I hope you can feel how much I love you and miss you. I don't know how I feel about Heaven but if that's where you are, I hope you are in the arms of your great grandmother. She was the sweetest woman and she loved kids so much.

Just know that I love you so much my sweet boy.  I will never stop thinking of you, talking about you, missing you.  My heart will never stop aching for you.  You are always on my mind and in my heart.  You always will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!