Skip to main content

Bryan 1.0

Doctor's stats:

Weight 21lbs 8oz (30th %)
Height 32.75 inches (99th %)
Head 18.25 inches (45th %)


The basics?

Diapers - Size 4, exclusively disposable now :(
Clothing - 12-18 month and some 24 month
Food - Everything and anything!
Sleeping - Through the night!
Teeth - TWELVE chompers!
Words - ba ba, da da, ma ma
Favorite toy - Cars airplane, activity walker, anything he's not supposed to play with

I can't believe that this boy is a year old already.  The year has just flown by and now instead of a tiny newborn, I have a tall toddler who is starting to walk and gets into everything!


Let's start with his stats.  I'm in total shock over his height and weight.  I can't believe how tall he is!  I mean, I guess I can believe it.  My husband is 6 feet tall and his dad is like 6'5 I think so we knew we were going to have a tall boy but to be off the charts for height?!  I'm not sure what's going on with his weight, though.  He had actually lost weight since I had him there the last time so the doctor was a little concerned with that.  He eats well so I'm guessing it's just because he's become so much more active.  I think it's just something he wants to keep an eye on.

The problem with the tall, skinny boy is that it's really hard to dress him!  He needs to wear 18 month pants for the length but they fall off of him.  He will literally crawl right out of his pants.  He also needs 18 month and even some 24 month shirts because he is so tall.  He's in a size 5 shoe now, which is big to me considering his sister just moved into a size 7.

For as skinny as he is, the boy sure can eat.  He will eat anything.  He's not a big fan of grapes but that's about the only thing he won't eat.  He loves meat.  Chicken, pork, turkey burger, steak.  He eats it all and he loves it.  He also eats a lot of veggies but he's not as crazy about fruits.  I think this boy is going to be a lot less picky than his sister.

I started transitioning him to whole milk at 11 months and while I thought he had a milk allergy at first, I was wrong and he drinks his milk with no problems.  He also hasn't had a bottle since around 11 months.  I started transitioning him to sippy cups as early as I could so that made taking the bottle away so much easier.

We have pretty much given up on the cloth diapers.  Two reasons - first, every time I would cloth diaper him, he seemed to get sick or get a rash or something that made me take him back out of the cloth and use disposables until he was over whatever he had.  It was getting annoying.  I could never keep his butt rash free while in the cloth even when I used coconut oil on him. 

Second, and I know that one day he will hate me for this but, since birth, he's had a bit of a problem with his penis retraction.  It's hard to explain but we have to put hydrocortisone cream or vasoline on his little pepper every time we change him to help the issue.  We're hoping he grows out of it but if he doesn't he could require surgery later on.  The point is that I don't want to ruin my cloth diapers with the creams and my son's pepper is just a bit more important that cloth diapers!

That being said, I will save the cloth diapers for when his problem is fixed and save them for the next baby.  I will be trying cloth again with the next one and I hope to have a better result.

He's such a good sleeper.  He usually takes one long nap in the middle of the afternoon, goes to bed around 9 and sleeps until 8.  If his afternoon nap is disturbed for any reason, he will usually need a shorter nap later but he's pretty much set on that schedule.  He wakes in the middle of the night sometimes and cries a bit but usually goes right back to sleep on his own.  I'm guessing this is being caused by his teething.

The kid has a dozen teeth.  He got all four of his molars at one time.  I'm not sure why his teeth decide to all come in at once but it has sucked for him.  He hasn't been too cranky through it all, though.  Anytime he is cranky, I give him some Tylenol and some teething tablets and he is usually fine.  He has his clingy days but for the most part teething has been a breeze for him.

I can't believe how close he is to walking!  He cruises everything but he has taken a lot of steps on his own.  My husband will sit on the floor and get him to walk to him from the couch.  It's usually only around 4 steps and when he gets close he lunges at him but it's progress!  He'll be walking in no time and then there's no stopping him!


I think I'm more anxious for him to talk.  He really only says mama and dada.  He has tried repeating me several times but he never actually says the word I'm saying.  If I say dog, he says do but that's it.  If I call for Ashlyn, he says the ahhh sound but that's it.  I know we got very lucky with Ashlyn and how she talked so soon but I really want him to start talking!!

He gets so frustrated because he can't tell me what he wants or how he's feeling.  That's when the tantrums start.  We never really had tantrums with Ashlyn because she could talk.  She was always able to communicate with us.  He can't yet.  So he gets pissed.  And he lets us know it!  Fortunately his tantrums don't last very long and he is easily distracted by something else and forgets about whatever it is he was mad about in the first place.

This boy is a climber.  He climbs on everything.  The other day he climbed up on Ashlyn's little chair and then promptly fell off of it, busting his mouth open and splashing blood everywhere.  He missed our fireplace by 2 inches.  I see a lot of ER visits in his future. 

He still has some separation anxiety and he is clingy to my husband and I.  He won't go to other people easily and sometimes cries whenever we hand him to someone he doesn't know.  He's always playful with people but only from a distance!  He might have his mama's personality!

Can I just talk about his hair for a second?  It's amazing.  It's long and it grows like nothing I've ever seen before.  This kid has had three haircuts already.  THREE!!  It's also like a strawberry blondeish color right now.  The red is starting to fade and I see more blonde now but the kid has blue eyes and (basically) red hair.  How did this kid get the rarest combination in the world?

Pictures of my sweet little boy:







 
Oh  my sweet little boy.  I don't even know how to explain to you the joy you have brought your Daddy and I.  You are so happy.  All the time.  Even more so than your sister was.  You are always smiling and laughing and you are just so content.
 
You are seriously the best cuddler ever.  We can not get enough of those sweet hugs you give.  And your sloppy kisses are even better.  Mommy's favorite is when you come up to me and rest your head against mine.  It's the sweet thing in the world and I melt every time.
 
I can't believe how curious you are and I love it.  I can't help but laugh when I find your sippy cup in a kitchen drawer or find a bath marker in the veggie drawer in the fridge.  You just like to see everything and do everything.  You are becoming so much more independent and get mad when you can't do the things you want to do.
 
The love you have for your sister is just amazing.  The way you look at her is just beautiful.  She always makes you laugh and smile and you love to play with her.  I know that when you start to walk you will never leave her side.  I hope your relationship is always a close one.
 
I can't believe that you are already a year old.  The past year has just flown by for us, buddy.  Daddy and I are so blessed to call you our son and we love you so much!
 

My beautiful one year old boy!!!
 

Comments

  1. He did really grow way too much way too quick..and he will be running around in no time. I think in the next few weeks he'll start walking. LOL omg I was cracking up when you said "he's gonna hate me for this.." HAHAH But really his "pepper?" never heard that before, I love it. HILARIOUS. Pepper...you completely changed the word for me. I'm jealous he'll eat vegis! Dylan used to be more open to them, now he's a little brat who only wants crackers. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

A Few New Things...

First off, I have 15 followers!  I am so grateful to have more followers.  I can't even tell you how great it makes me feel to know that people want to read my blog.  Through all of the linking up I have been doing, I have 15 followers and I have found a TON of new blogs to read.  I am really enjoying reading them all every day!! In case you don't believe me.......................... I know 15 doesn't seem like a lot but it's a lot to me.  It means the world to me to have people interested in my life.  The second change is that I added a new page.  It's my Summer Bucket List .  I posted this list a little while ago but I know that I will forget about it so I added it as a page.  Now I can actually cross things off as I do them.  I have already crossed one thing off the list and I hope to cross them all off by the end of the Summer!  I guess the end of the Summer would be September 21st so I have until then.  And if I don't get them all crosse