Skip to main content

Fashionista 5K

If you haven't heard of her, Laney Brown was an amazing little girl who had cancer.  I didn't know her personally and I don't ever remember seeing around even though we lived five minutes from her house.  You can read more about Laney on her website or Facebook page:

Team Laney Facebook Page
Laney's Legacy of Hope

One of the things Laney wanted before she died was to have Christmas carolers come to her house.  Once this wish was put out there, everyone in our area, and some people from farther away, came to sing Christmas carols to that sweet girl.  My husband and I attended.  It was craziness!  There were over 10,000 people crammed into the street outside of her house singing carols for her.

Laney died on Christmas day last year.  It was devastating to her family but it was also devastating to all of us.  That little girl brought so many people together.

This is what it looked like outside of Laney's house.  Her mom posted the picture on the left on Facebook as we were walking by.

When I saw the information about the Fashionista 5K honoring Laney, I knew I had to sign up and make it my first 5K.  So that's what I did.  I had never run a 5K before and I had only run 3 miles on the treadmill one time so I wasn't at all prepared!  It was a run/walk so we could have walked it but my husband (who completed a half marathon a few years back) insisted that we run it.

I didn't really train for it except to run a little more in the weeks leading up to the race.  I was never able to find my pace when running outside.  I wasn't too bad on the treadmill but wasn't great either.  So I was pretty nervous to run this thing.

There were 765 people registered to walk or run this thing.  It was absolutely crazy seeing all of these people gathered for this awesome race.  And there were tons of people just lining the streets to watch!!  Friends of ours actually watched the kids for us at the race while we ran so they were at the finish line waiting for us.

It wasn't horrible.  It wasn't great but it wasn't horrible.  I started off pretty great but, again, I just couldn't find a good pace that I was comfortable with so I had to stop to walk a few times to catch my breath.  I think if I had just slowed down a little bit I would have been fine.

We finished with a time of 38:46 which I though was decent considering it was my first time and my goal was to finish in under 45 minutes.  We were 281 and 282 on the sheet, which out of 765 people is pretty dam good.  They stopped timing the race at 45 minutes, though, so it makes it look like there were only 371 runners.  I'm going with 281 out of 765!

The funny part is that since the race, I've been able to establish a much better pace while running and have been running farther.  Hopefully I can keep it up and really improve my time.  I think I'd like to run another 5K, or even a few more.  I actually had fun doing it!

It was called the Fashionista 5K because Laney like sparkle and glitter and zebra prints.  Participants were supposed to come decked out in their best apparel.  I made these tshirts with our names in glitter on the back.  The kids had matching shirts. This picture was of us walking to the start line.
 
We were at the start line and just waiting for the race to start.
 
We did it!  This is our sweaty after selfie.

 Ashlyn got her face painted at the after party.
  
Both kids fell asleep in the stroller on the walk back to the parking garage.  You would have thought they had run the race!
 
 
Have you ever run a marathon or a race?  How'd you do?
 
 


Comments

  1. I know of Laney and I'm so happy you were able to partake in making her dreams come true. My heart breaks for these special children who's time is cut short. It's beautiful that you did the 5K. My husband is a total "let's just run the whole thing" person too. I'm the complete opposite. I'll use anything to sell a walking session. I'll make deals, I'll plead, anything but run! Please don't make me run. I think the fear of running is probably worse than the running itself. Your time is great! Especially because you didnt even train!! I miss you Vanessa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

A Few New Things...

First off, I have 15 followers!  I am so grateful to have more followers.  I can't even tell you how great it makes me feel to know that people want to read my blog.  Through all of the linking up I have been doing, I have 15 followers and I have found a TON of new blogs to read.  I am really enjoying reading them all every day!! In case you don't believe me.......................... I know 15 doesn't seem like a lot but it's a lot to me.  It means the world to me to have people interested in my life.  The second change is that I added a new page.  It's my Summer Bucket List .  I posted this list a little while ago but I know that I will forget about it so I added it as a page.  Now I can actually cross things off as I do them.  I have already crossed one thing off the list and I hope to cross them all off by the end of the Summer!  I guess the end of the Summer would be September 21st so I have until then.  And if I don't get them all crosse