Skip to main content

Q & A: Favorite Foods

Original List of questions:  Q & A Questions List

What are your favorite foods?  Share recipes.

I'm pretty simple when it comes to food.  I'm also pretty picky.  More picky than my own kids.  The list of foods I like is much smaller than the list of foods I don't like.  My husband is the complete opposite.  He will eat just about anything.  This makes for interesting meals in our house sometimes.

Most of my favorite foods are really simple and remind me a lot of home.

Grilled cheese dipped in applesauce:  I think I got this from my mom.  It's literally just a typical grilled cheese sandwich that I like to dip in sweetened applesauce.  My husband thinks this is gross. I can't understand why.

Lebanon bologna on white bread (Italian usually) with mayo:  this is one thing I eat almost every time I visit my Mom.  It's so simple and yet it's the one thing that always reminds me of home.  Lebanon bologna is a local staple so maybe that's why I love it so much.  Most people pair it with mustard but I'm not a big fan of that.

Meatballs in grape jelly sauce:  my Uncle made this at Christmas one year and I've never been able to eat meatballs any other way since.  The meatballs are really easy.  You take the meatballs and throw them into a crock pot with your favorite spaghetti sauce or chili sauce and you add a jar of grape jelly.  Sound gross?  It's really not.

Chicken potpie, especially fried:  I don't have my mom's recipe for chicken potpie but let me tell you, it's soooo good.  And it's not the kind that you put in the oven and bake with a pie crust.  It's the Pennsylvania Dutch potpie where you hand cut the pastry and boil everything in a pot.

This is a sample recipe:  PA Dutch Style Chicken Potpie

We typically eat it the way it is, with the broth, when we first make it, and then take the leftovers and fry them in butter to dry out all of the liquid and brown it.  I love fried potpie so much.  I could eat it every single day of my life.  It's one of the biggest comfort foods for me.  It was also one of the only things I could eat when I was pregnant with Ashlyn so my mom would make me big batches so I could freeze and eat!
 
Cut out cookies with icing:  my grandmother's cookies are the best!  They are only made at Christmas time and only by my grandmother.  I have the recipe for these but I haven't tried to make them yet and I won't share that recipe.  These are my favorite cookies.  She bakes them a little longer for me to make them a little crunchy.  She also bakes them into Christmas shapes, puts icing on them and decorates them with colored sugar.  I am a cookie ninja when it comes to these things.  They disappear so quickly.

I typically cook Whole30 approved foods for my husband but that's pretty boring and the only real recipe I have to share is a veggie soup I make my husband. It isn't even something I eat!  But he really likes it, especially in the colder months. 

I don't even really have measurements for this recipe.  I just kind of measure as I go and throw it all in a pot to boil so you can adjust accordingly.

Ingredients:
Browned turkey burger
Chopped peppers
Diced onions
Broccoli, cut up
Chopped carrots
Sweet potatoes, cubed
Beef Broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garlic (chopped or a seasoning)

I literally take everything and throw it into a pot and boil it in beef broth.  You can add other veggies if you'd like or take away whatever you don't like.  I'll probably add some squash next time.  If I make this for him while he is home, I also add some tomatoes after it's cooked.

I usually try to make a batch that will last a whole week or make enough that I can freeze it for him and get it out when he wants it for lunch.  You just have to watch which veggies you add because some of them don't freeze well.

What are some of your favorite foods and recipes?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!