Skip to main content

Q & A: Holidays & Traditions

Original List of questions:  Q & A Questions List

What are your favorite/least favorite holidays and traditions?

This is probably the easiest question on the list. 

My least favorite holiday, hands down, is Halloween.  Spending ridiculous amounts of money on costumes for your kids (and yourselves) just so they can scour the neighborhood for candy that will only make them act like crazy little animals.  Going to haunted houses to get the shit scared out of you or spending way too much money on crazy decorations for your own house.  Spiders and cobwebs. 

None of this sounds good to me.

I get the appeal of cute costumes, I really do.  I mean what's cuter than an itty bitty baby in his or her first elephant costume?  Nothing really.  But that's about the only thing I 'get' about this so-called holiday.

It's just not for me.

My favorite holiday......Christmas!!!  And I get how that may be a little contradictory to my Halloween rejection because we spend tons of money on useless crap for our friends and family every year and also spend tons of money on decorations and what not.

So here's my take:

I LOVE Christmas decorations.  The displays are way more beautiful than any Halloween display and don't scare the shit out of me.  You won't see Santa decorations in my house but you will see a tree, lights, snowmen, stockings, gingerbread houses and trains and all kinds of other adorable little decorations.  The tree is my favorite.  I love decorating the tree and love having presents in adorable wrapping paper under the tree.

As far as gifts go, I always try to buy meaningful and useful gifts.  I honestly only try to buy things that people really want.  Yes, I ask my family what they want.  I would prefer that they have a gift that they will actually use versus something that will sit in the box in a corner somewhere. 

I think one of the best gifts I ever gave was Bon Jovi tickets to my mom.  She loves Bon Jovi and he came to our local stadium and I got her tickets.  The look on her face when she opened the gift was completely priceless.  That's why I love giving gifts.

We abide by a 4 gift rule for the children so we don't go overboard.  Something they want, need, can wear, can read.  I also do small gifts in their stocking and one joint gift for them.  I try to enforce this with my family as well, reminding them that in order to make room for new toys, we will have to get rid of old toys that they most likely purchased.

The family gets together.  It's one of the only times through the year that the we all get together.  Christmas Eve is my mom's side of the family.  Christmas Day we spend with my parents.  The weekend after Christmas is my dad's side of the family.  I've recently started hosting some of these events and I love it!  It's the only time of year we make ham and ham is one of my favorite holiday foods.

Christmas traditions are the best.  I started a Christmas Eve box for the kids.  It includes a new set of PJs, usually matching, a new DVD with popcorn and some kind of stuffed animal.  It's great in theory but we aren't actually home on Christmas Eve to watch the movie or anything.  It's the thought that counts, right?  We also started doing gingerbread cookies last year and Ashlyn loved decorating them.  We might try a house this year but we will see.

Of course there's also the religious aspect of Christmas.  I wouldn't call myself a religious person but I do understand the importance of Christmas from the religious stand point. 

So that's it.  Maybe I'm a jerk for loving to spend the money at Christmas and not at Halloween but that's ok.  I'll take cute little angels over gross cobwebs any day.

By the way, Christmas is only 10 Fridays away!  You're welcome!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!