Skip to main content

That Time My Son Got Pneumonia...

If you follow me on IG you know that we spent a very long weekend at the hospital because my little man had pneumonia.  It sucked hard.  It was a long, scary hospital stay and we never want to do that again. 

Friday, Decemeber 5th - Little dude went to bed as usual but he woke up around 12:30am and did not want to go back to sleep.  I laid him in my bed and tried to get him to sleep but he wasn't having it.  We were awake until about 4am.  He didn't seem too bad that day, just tired.  Worst part is that his sister woke up too and played around in my bed the whole time. 

 
Saturday was fine and they both slept ok that night.  Bryan was pretty restless and coughing all night long but he never woke up or anything. 
 
His cough was pretty bad and Ashlyn was complaining that her ears hurt.  With her previous history of ear infections, I decided to call the doctor and schedule an appointment.  I waited too long Saturday so we had to go Sunday morning.  Ashlyln's ears were fine so she just had a cold.  I was told to give Bryan his nebulizer treatments because of his bad cough.  The bad news is that Bryan got a fever on Sunday and was miserable.  

 
He had a fever on Monday as well.  We had a rough day because he had woken at 12:30am again.  He did go back to sleep this time, in my bed, but was coughing and wrestless the whole night.  He would sleep for a half hour, cough himself awake, cry for a few minutes and then go back to sleep.  It was horrible.  

 

He  basically decided that this was how he was going to sleep for the next few days.  Sleep, wake, cry, sleep.  During the day he would just lay around with his blanket and kind of nap in and out all day long.  He wasn't drinking or eating much of anything and the little bit he did get down, he threw up whenever he had a coughing fit. 

 

We really tried to wait it out.  Wednesday night he showed some signs of life.  He was drinking a bit and snacking a bit and he even ate a little bit of his dinner.  But dinner came back up all over my bed and I was done.  I decided to take him back to the doctor.  So I called Thursday morning and took him in at 1:30.  Because he hadn't been drinking or eating and because he was so lethargic, the doctor immediately call our local hospital to see if there was room for him.  The doctor sent us over and said that he expected us to be home by the weekend.


So, Thursday, December 11th started our stay at the hospital.  They got him hooked up to an IV right away and drew some blood.  They swabbed his nose for flu and RSV.  They took him for a chest x-ray to see if he had pneumonia.  My husband took him to do all of these things.  I'm not sure how my Mama heart would have handled all of that.  All of he blood work came back great and all of his swabs tested negative.  But his chest x-ray showed some signs of pneumonia. 


Friday was not a good day.  He had already received a few doses of the antibiotic he was on and he was getting nebulizer treatments for his breathing.  The doctor had expected to see some improvement but there was none.  He was working so hard to breath.  He still wasn't eating or drinking and he was just miserable.  He slept a lot.

The doctor decided that it was time to put him on oxygen to see if that would help his breathing.  He was so lethargic at first that he didn't even care about the tubes in his nose. 

 
The oxygen helped because Friday night we got to see some smiles from him.  He was a little more energetic and he wanted to drink some juice.

 
Saturday morning he woke up miserable.  I'm not sure what was going on but he wasn't happy.  After some Mama cuddles and some chill time, he seemed to be in a happier mood.  We decided to venture out in to the hallway to get him out of the room since he seemed to want to move around.  Of course he headed straight for the door! 


We tried having him sleep without the oxygen Saturday night but his oxygen level kept going down.  They wanted to see him above 93 and he was averaging 85 without his mask.  With the mask, he was 95-100.  They wouldn't let him go home unless he was oxygen free for 24 hours so we knew we had to stay at least one more night.

 
Sunday morning was so much better.  He still woke up a little grumpy but he bounced back pretty quickly and by Sunday night, he was beginning to eat and drink and he was playing with his sister!



Sunday night, we tried no oxygen mask again.  His oxygen kept dropping again.  The nurse decided to get the hand held oxygen tester and see how that tested.  She got a 91 on his foot and a 93 on his finger.  She decided there was something faulty with the machine or wiring on the stationary device and said she was going to test him every hour throughout the night with the hand held instead.  His numbers were good all night long.  That meant we got to go home Monday!

 
There was an immediate attitude change the second we walked through our front door.  He immediately went for the play room and wanted to play.  He was happy and comfortable.  He didn't fight his nebulizer treatments or diaper changes the way he had at the hospital. 


Big sister has been a huge help with her little brother.  He likes when she helps with his treatments.  He is on antibiotics for 7 days and has to have his nebulizer treatments for a few days but otherwise he is good as new.  He's eating and drinking normally and he and his sister are fighting just like they always have.


I absolutely hated seeing my little guy in such bad shape.  He was just so sad and he really hated being in that hospital.  But the worst is behind us and we can only hope we never have to go through that again!

There were so many people who helped us out during this little trip.  We had people bringing us food, watching Ashlyn, coming for visits, watching the kids so we could get out of the room for a bit and just sending words of love and encouragement.  We can't thank you all enough for all of it.  It's amazing to see who comes to your rescue when you are really in need.  We love you all.


Comments

  1. So thankful that he is better now. It was so heartbreaking to watch him being sick via instagram.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!