Skip to main content

2016 Goals

I feel like the goals I have are always able to be improved upon so they are easy to recycle from year to year.  With last year being such an emotional year, I felt the need to evaluate my recycled goals and create some new ones. 

My word for 2015 is


We need to make a lot of changes in our lives this year if we want to keep our happiness and our sanity in check.  All of my goals for 2016 revolve around this word.  I can only hope that by the end of 2016, I can truly say that we have changed for the better.

Leave the past where it belongs - 2015 really showed us the best and worst of people.  We had some people who were just amazing and stuck with us during the worst time in our lives.  We also had some people who decided our situations weren't important and just didn't bother with us.  We have had to end these toxic relationships but I have been having a hard time leaving them in the past.

For 2016, I really need to just let these people go.  I don't use the word evil very often but these people, they are just evil and we don't deserve to be subjected to their horrible attitudes.  We don't need toxic people in our lives.   

Be more intentional - My friends and family mean a lot to me.  The ones who were here for me during the worst time in my life, the ones who have checked on me non stop through the year, the ones who have celebrated happier times with us in 2015....these people are my true friends and family and I intend to let them know that more often in 2016.

I appreciate every text message, every little gift, every comment, every bouquet of flowers, every vent session, every little picture or quote you send me that says you were thinking of me, every visit, and every single time you say his name.  I appreciate everything little thing you do and I hope you all know that. 

My little tribe, the two people (besides my husband) who helped me the most through 2015, you are amazing people and I don't know how I would have made it through the last year without you.  We will have an amazing year.

My IG ladies, you seriously have no idea how much you all mean to me too!  You've always been ready with comments that made me instantly feel better, with advice on how to handle situations, with loving words and prayers.  Many of you have been better friends on IG than many of the people who call themselves my friend in real life!  I'm amazed by my IG community and I want nothing more than to build my relationships with you ladies in 2016.

Give more - I'm keeping this goal because it's a good one.  I would still like to organize a trip to the Soul Kitchen and volunteer for a meal this year.  I'd like to do more random things through the year.  I am still doing my pay it forward this year like I always do except I'm just going to send random gifts to people.  This is another way to be more intentional with my friends. 

Unplug - We failed at this in 2015.  We may have had our phones off the dinner table 70% of the time.  My husband checks his Facebook while he's at a red light.  It's out of control.  So I'd really like to focus on putting the phones down and paying more attention to the now.

No phones at the dinner table at all.  No phones while driving.  No phones while we are doing family activities (except to take photos).  Just less phones.  Less TV too.  The kids don't watch TV all day long but they do have it on a good portion of the day and it's too much.  We need to start doing more activities.

Be more cost effective - We spend too much.  Don't we all?  But there are so many ways that we can save money if we just tried.  This year we are going to build a garden.  No more buying produce, which is what we spend the most grocery money on.  We are going to establish and maintain a budget.  We are going to sell things that we have laying around that we don't use.  There are just so many things that we can do and I intend to do them in 2016.

Be healthy - Losing weight has always been one of my main goals.  I don't want that to be the goal for 2016.  I want to be healthy.  I want to eat better, eat out less, exercise more, have less stress.  Of course all of these things can lead to weight loss but I want health to be the main goal this year.

Pregnancy, baby loss, working on a new house, dealing with family issues...these are all things that lead to unhealthy choices in 2015.  I don't want that for 2016.

Take more ME time - I started doing this in 2015 and I plan to continue this in 2016.  I have monthly dinners scheduled with my little tribe where we can just sit and talk and vent and recharge.  I haven't had my hair cut in almost a year.  I don't typically do anything besides the dinners without the kids so I really hope to incorporate more of that in 2016.  I love my kids, I love being with them, but sometimes I need a break

De-clutter - Our new house is smaller than our last house.  We accumulated a lot of 'stuff' living in the last house and when we moved, we had to get rid of a lot of it.  We still have a lot of stuff so I would really like to de-clutter this year.  Get rid of the things we don't need.  I've already started doing this and I'm happy with the progress I've made so far.

We've got a lot of things we can sell or donate but we also have a lot of things that are just junk taking up space.  I read an article once that said if you haven't touched it in 6 months, throw it out.  That's exactly what I've been trying to do.  Of course we always have those things we need to hang onto.  Sentimental things that will always remain in storage.  But our house doesn't need to be cluttered.

I think that's it.  2016 is looking like it's going to be a really good year, despite some hiccups we have already had.  I feel like this list of goals is going to do nothing but help make our year great.  Let's make some changes!

What are your goals for 2016?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!