Skip to main content

7 Uses for Coconuts!

I found this article in my Woman's World magazine (July 18, 2011, Page 22) and I wanted to share it with you. The article provides 7 ways to use coconut juices and oils. I thought some of them could be quite beneficial, even to a preggo like me!

1. Ease stress and anxiety - "Research reveals that the scent alone is powerful enough to relax your nervous system and calm you down. The scent triggers the limbic system, the brain area responsible for mood and memory."
How to use it: "Dab on some coconut scented body lotion to enjoy the benefit instantly! Or light a scented coconut candle whenever you feel stressed."

2. Fight off infections - "Coconut oil is made up of nearly 50% lauric acid, which research reveals strengthens immunity and kills 99% of bacteria, viruses and fungi on contact!"
How to use it: "Three tablespoons of oil daily provide enough lauric acid to help prevent illness. Two tablespoons, three times daily can cut your recovery time by a whopping 57%"

3. Rev your energy - Coconut Water - "This naturally sweet thirst-quenching beverage contains electrolytes that rehydrate you faster than popular sports drinks made with refined sugars, artificial flavoring and food coloring."
How to use it: "Simply drink it chilled, especially after exercising or spending a lot of time in the sun."

4. Blemish-proof your skin - "Coconut oil controls oily skin and stops pimples. Its fatty acids reduce inflammation, speed healing and give the skin a healthier pH, research shows, which kills the surface bacteria behind acne breakouts."
How to use it: "Apply a small dab of coconut oil twice a day directly on pimples or over your entire face."

5. Beat belly bulge - "Coconut oil contains fatty acids that turbocharge metabolism by up to 50%, and a study in the journal Lipids showed that daily consumption reduces abdominal fat in women."
How to use it: "Try it in stir-fries, baking and anytime you'd use vegetable or other oils. Research shows just substituting coconut oil for vegetable oil could help you effortlessly shed as much as 30 pounds in one year!"

6. Cure dandruff - Coconut oils "fatty acids are quickly absorbed into the scalp and skin follicles, where they kill the fungi behind the itching and flaking."
How to use it: "Massage 2 Tbs. virgin coconut oil or 1/2 cup coconut milk into your scalp and hair. Cover hair with a shower cap to hold your body heat in, leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse and shampoo as usual. Try the treatment twice weekly."

7. Tame tummy troubles - Coconut may bring relief for stomach problems like indigestion or diarrhea. Coconut kills H. pylori, the bacteria behind stomach ulcers, on contact, plus it's one of the highest-fiber plant foods there is."
How to use it: "Sprinkle grated or shredded coconut on a bowl of fresh fruit or on toast for a sweet, healthy treat."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!