Skip to main content

Amazed and Disappointed

I'm amazed every day by how much having a child had changed me.  How it's changed my attitude and my opinions and how I do things with my life.  I'm amazed by how easy it has become for me to incorporate my child into every single decision I make.  Because it's not just about me or my husband anymore.  It's about our child. 

I'm also amazed by how much others have changed now that we have a child.  I am amazed and disappointed to be honest.  I am amazed by the people who have come through for us (some who I never expected) and I am highly disappointed by the people who haven't (some who should have).

I won't be naming any names because I don't feel the need to call people out and embarrass them in that way.  I can only hope that these people understand who they are and will seriously think about what I am saying.

First, I am amazed by the many friends and family who have surrounded us with nothing but love and support.  The friends and family who have nothing but nice things to say about how great of a mother I know I am!  I don't care how it sounds.  I know I am an awesome Mom.  The friends and family who have gone out of their way to make my little girl feel special.

I can't even believe how many of these people I have in my life.  My parents...Amazing!  My Mom is so in love with my Baby Girl it's unreal.  And Baby Girl is just as much in love with her Nana!  Nana was her second word after all.  I love seeing her little face light up whenever she sees her Nana.  I love the bond that they have. 

And my Mom is always doing things for us.  She is always giving me boxes of baby food or diapers.  She came over to my house just last night and kept Baby Girl entertained just so I could do a little cleaning.  She is our #1 babysitter and, even though he may not admit it, I really think Pop likes having Baby Girl around too. 

And Baby Girl loves her cousin, Cameron.  I mean LOVES!  She laughs at him and she loves when he plays with her and she even reaches for him.  And he loves her right back.  He always wants to play with her and show her things.  And every once in a while he buys her a new toy or wins her something at a carnival.  He is so sweet!

I am amazed by the many friends we have who visited us in the hospital, visited us in the weeks after going home from the hospital, have offered to babysit, have invited us over for dinner because they want to spend time with us a family.  The friends who have said nothing but kind words even though I blow up my Facebook page with nothing but status updates about and pictures of my Baby Girl.  The friends who have given me suggestions and advice and who haven't gotten mad if I haven't actually used either!  The friends who have just sat and listed to me vent about whatever was on my mind!

How about the friends who have considered buying baby related items to keep at their homes just because they want to babysit and who know that by doing this, they will take a huge load off of Mama's shoulders when she doesn't remember to bring everything?  Or the friends who share changing tables and diaper pails and even cribs if it's nap time?!

I consider these people my extended family.  I am grateful for everything they have done for me and for my Baby Girl.  I am grateful for the new friends I've made and for the babies they have because I know that Baby Girl will have a ton of friends to play with!  I am grateful for the love they show my little girl and by how much they respect my choices as a parent.  These people have become a very large part of my life and I'm not sure I'd be completely sane right now if it wasn't for them!

So thank you to all of these people who are just plain awesome.  Hopefully you know who you are.  If you don't, just ask me.  I'll tell you!  But if I am comfortable enough to kick my shoes off at your house, raid your pantry or your liquor cabinet and play couch commando with you over your own remote control, throw my kid up on your changing table and change her or stuff her into your high chair for lunch, you're probably on the list!

I say:


On the flip side, I can't tell you how disappointed I am by some of our friends and family who don't seem to care one tiny little bit about us or our beautiful little girl!  I'll keep this part short because I know how much controversy negativity always brings.

The people who seem to have completely disappeared now that we have a kid because we don't seem to fit into their lifestyle or their schedules anymore.  The people who haven't even made an attempt to come and meet this amazing little girl even though they are supposedly some of our 'best friends.'  The family members who act like they are family members of the year but really just suck, to be completely honest.

You can do whatever you want to us and say whatever you want about us but we will not allow your ignorance to consume us.  And we will not allow your ignorance to creep into our daughter's life.  I am tired of letting these people and their ignorance weave its way into my life.  And I'm done.  I don't have time for the drama that is always accompanied by the dysfunction.  It's just not worth it.   

I say:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!