Skip to main content

Hi, My Name Is...

My husband and I had a really hard time choosing Ashlyn's name.  We went back and forth for months before we finally decided what to name her.  I saw her name on a baby name website somewhere and added it to my list.  It was the only name on the list that he actually liked so that was it!  We decided to keep the name a secret until she was born, only allowing a very select group of people in on the secret.

We love her name.  It is annoying when people call her Ashley or Ashland but we knew that would happen when we chose the name.  I still love it and I don't regret it at all.  Let's face it, naming your kid is pretty important so you want to make sure you're picking something you love and something they can live with for the rest of their lives!

When we first started choosing names for Ashlyn, before we knew she was a she, my husband told me that if she had been a boy, he wanted a Jr.  No offense to any Jr's out there, but I'm just not into it.  I love non-traditional names.  If my husband had a cooler, non-traditional name, I'd be fine with having a Jr, but he doesn't.  He has a very traditional name.

Yuck.

My husband takes offense to me not liking his name.  I try to tell him that it has nothing to do with him as a person (obviously) I just don't like the more traditional names.  I'm probably sounding like a pretty big jerk here and all men named Bryan are getting ready to rally in defense of their name.

It's OK.  It's just my opinion. 

I cringe at the thought of someone calling my son Jr.  Ugh.  Gross.  I also cringe at the thought of someone calling my son BJ.  Aside from what those letters could stand for (yes go to the gutter for this one), I just don't like it.  Hey, I went to school with a guy who was a Jr and we called him BJ.  It was cool but it's not for me or my son.

The problem is, I have to see the look on my husband's face every time he talks about a) having a son and b) having a son with his name.  It's obvious that it means a lot to him.  And it's not a bad name, it's just a traditional name.  I guess there's really nothing wrong with that, though.

The only option my husband gave me was to use his brother's first name (Thomas) as our son's middle name. While I have no issues with this, I would much rather honor my husband's name than his brother's name.  And that's no offense to his brother at all because I know how close they are.  But I'm just not sure I would feel right about it.

So I guess it's finally time for me admit defeat on this one.  Our son's name is going to be...

Bryan Paul Miller, II
 
The word Jr will not be anywhere on the birth certificate.  My husband has agreed to this.  No one will be allowed to call him Jr or BJ.  If anyone does, I am allowed to throat punch correct them.  My husband has agreed to this as well.
 
It's a good, solid name and I'm sure I'll get over how traditional it is.  I did tell my husband that since he's getting this one, I get to name the third child (if we have one) and, yes, I already have the names picked out ! 

See What's In A Name to find out which names I had originally wanted.
 

Comments

  1. I really like the name, but maybe that is because I love traditional names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name! Well, I was right when I thought you're having a boy! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are letting your hubby have this one since it means so much to him! Good job, Vanessa. :-) I love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually think Bryan is way less traditional than Brian. I like it a lot. For realz.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!