Skip to main content

Irritating

When my husband and I agreed to name our beautiful daughter Ashlyn, we knew that the name would come with some pronunciation problems.  We knew people would call her Ashley or Ashland instead of Ashlyn.  And even though I clearly pronounce her name AshlyN (yes, I say N very loudly at the end so people get it), people still get it wrong.

And it pisses me off.

I can't help it.  It's just like when people spell my husband's name Brian instead of Bryan.  And I'm going to have the same issue with Baby Boy since he is going to be a Bryan too.  It's always been a big pet peeve of mine.  I always try to make sure I pronounce names correctly and I will even ask if I'm saying it correctly because I don't want to be the douche bag saying it incorrectly.

It's seems that lately, more and more people are calling my daughter Ashley or some other weird names instead of Ashlyn. 

There's one guy at church who always calls her Ashley and I don't have the heart to correct him even though my ears turn bright red every time.

The instructor of her music class called her Ashland and Aiden a few times.  I corrected that bitch the next class and made sure she knew she pronounced it incorrectly.

Then there was this past Sunday.  We had lunch with some friends and on our way out, we realized that there were some people from our church there as well.  Well wouldn't ya know it...as we passed their table, they were all 'Bye Ashley!'

Ermahgerd.

I just looked at my friend and she just laughed at me.  I think she was waiting for me to flip out but again, they were church people and i just didnt' have the heart to tell them they were wrong.  The pregnancy hormones had me close but I held my tongue.

So instead, I took to Facebook and posted this:

"Is it wrong of me to want to throat punch people who call my kid Ashley?"

OK, now let's look at this logically.  I'm not actually going to throat punch someone.  Unless you're trying to steal a cupcake from me.  Then I will karate chop the F out of that throat.  But otherwise, it's likely that it won't happen.  And I'm pretty sure everyone knows that!  Everyone knows that the whole throat punch phenom is just a funsy. 

So why would people get irritated about me posting something like that?

This girl goes and posts something about how very Christian it is of me to make a post like that.  People mispronounce names all the time and it's not something to get irritated about.  She goes on to talk about how people say her kid's name wrong too. 

I can't be more specific because after I bitch slapped her via Facebook, she deleted the post but I totally called her out for it.  And I unfriended her.  Take that!  (see that?  another joke!)

First of all, IT   IS   JUST   A   JOKE.  Yes, I get irritated about the issue but I'm not actually going to hurt someone.  Second, it's my right to get pissed if someone calls my kid by the wrong name.  I chose her name and it's a good name so say it right!  Third, who the hell does she think she is?  It's not her business to call me out like that.  Fourth, I've never claimed to be a 'Christian' per say.  Do I go to church?  Yes.  Do I participate in church events?  Yes.  I'm learning all about it.  But I'm still who I am and if I want to make a funny post about my kid's name, I'm going to! 

The best part is that I never even saw her post.  My husband came home and told me about it.  And then he waited for the fireworks.  My husband is a very kind man and hardly ever has anything negative to say about people but even he knew that she crossed the line.  He was actually laughing hysterically about it for a few days.

I try very hard to sensor myself when it comes to my social media outlets.  I try not to swear too much (excluding this post) and I try very hard not to post things that are negative or offensive.  In daily life, I'm a very offensive person.  I say the first thing that comes to my mind regardless of what it may be.  It's just how I am.

It kind of pisses me off that I can't post something that is meant to be a joke on my own personal Facebook page without being attacked.  If you don't like it, then unfriend me.  If you feel the need to tell me that it is inappropriate, then IM me.  It's not like here on the blog where I'm actually asking for your opinion.

I know that some people just don't get the crude humor that I can dish out sometimes but come on!  Throat punch?!  It's funny! 

Comments

  1. Just tell them to "hang on to their panties and that you were just kidding" Damn people are so sensitive. Give her and extra throat punch for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha I tell people I'm going to punch them in the face all the time. All in good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The complete irony of that girl's post is how unChristianlike her judgmental attitude is. Holy crap.
    But totally get ya. We actually are in the process of legally changing Ellis's name to Ellee because I got SO frustrated with people calling her Eli. She wears bows on her head for crying out loud! She is NOT Eli.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are allowed to get mad. I get mad ALL the time for people spelling my name wrong. Sarah instead of Sara. I used to get soooo irritated by it! I still do, but since I'm not in school it doesn't happen as much.
    And seriously it's FB people....I can't stand how serious people get on FB. Also, how can you get confused and call her Ashley?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!