Skip to main content

Preparing for a Little One: Registering for Baby

Linking up with Kaitlyn at Wifessionals for
Kaitlyn is pregnant with her first sweet baby and this week she is asking for advice on registering for her baby. 

When I registered for Ashlyn, I used Myregistry.com.  I chose this site for many reasons.  I liked that I could register for items from many different stores and have them all combined into one registry on one site.  I also like that people didn't actually have to buy the items from the sites I had listed.  They could shop around for better prices but mark that they bought the item.

The only problem I found with this site was that many people didn't mark off what they bought so I got some duplicates of bigger items.  When it comes to burp clothes and blankets, you can never have enough.  Play mats and car seats?  Not so much!  I would recommend this site but I would hope that people would read the directions!

Make sure you register for EVERYTHING regardless of the price.  I had items that were $2 a piece and then I had items that were $200.  You never know what someone will buy.  People also like to pool together to buy larger items so keep that in mind. 

I was lucky enough to receive almost everything I had on my registry.  The only larger purchase we had to make was for the dresser and changing table and I got gift cards to go towards them!

Don't be afraid to ask for things for when they are older.  While I didn't register for any clothing, I did receive a ton of clothes in 3, 6 and 9 month sizes.  I barely had to buy anything clothes at all.  I also asked for an activity saucer (which I got) and toys that I knew she wouldn't be able to use for a few months.  It was nice to have them when the time came for her to use them.

Some of the things I used the most?

1.  Pack and play - yes I used this thing all of the time.  We didn't even go into Ashlyn's room for the first two months she was born!  The pack and play is amazing if you get the one with the bassinet and the changer on the top.  Ashlyn took naps and got changed in there every single day for the first few months.  I know it's supposed to be for travel but it hardly ever left the house.  It became a staple in our living room!
 
2.  Vibrating chair- This thing is a life saver!  Ashlyn loved hers.  She would sit in it for hours and she would even take naps in it.  It made cooking and cleaning a whole lot easier.
 
3.  Bottle sterilizer - I used mine a lot!  Clean the bottles, pop them in the sterilizer, add cold water, let them sterilize.  It's that easy.
 
4.  Wipe warmer - I know everyone says these things are worthless but I love mine!  I have it in Ashlyn's room.  Let me tell you, a cold wet wipe on a baby's butt in the middle of Winter?  Not fun!  The warmer keeps them nice and warm and moist.  The travel warmer is a waste, though.  I got the Prince Lionheart Warmer.
 
5.  Car mirror - I have used a mirror since day one.  It's always nice to be able to see your baby no matter what.  I still use the mirror.  When she gets flipped around, the mirror goes onto the back of the headrest in front of her so she can still see herself.

6.  Activity bouncer - Ashlyn wasn't able to use this until she was about 4 months old but it was the best buy we ever made!  She loved to bounce.  I love the Fisher Price Rainforest bouncer because there were so many little things for her to do and she loved the music and lights! 

7.  Car seat cover - If you are due during the colder months, please invest in a car sear cover.  Best invention ever!  It keeps the baby nice and warm and you never have to worry about bulky clothes.  We used one everywhere we went. 

8.  Video monitor - I love having a video monitor and I'm not sure what I'd do without it!  The first six weeks, Ashlyn slept in a bassinet in our bedroom.  I had to go back to work after week 7 so we moved her to her crib then.  Of course I woke up multiple times to check on her and I loved having the video monitor.  It was so nice to be able to see her without having to get up each time.  Make sure you get one with good range.  I would recommend the Samsung monitors.
 
Things to pass on?

1.  A bottle warmer - I used mine for a month but then it just got tedious so I put it away.  You especially don't need it if you plan to breastfeed. 

2.  Bottles - OK don't pass on them but don't register for them.  Ashlyn hated all of the bottles we got from the baby shower and we wound up giving them all away.  She settled for these Gerber cheapies.  They were literally the only bottle she would drink out of.  Just buy one or two of a few different brands until you find the right ones.

3.  Clothes - again, don't pass on them but don't register for them!  People will buy you clothes regardless of whether your register for them or not!  I didn't have to buy clothes for months!  If you are going to ask for clothes, ask for zippered sleepers.  There's nothing more annoying than trying to fiddle with PJ's full of buttons in the middle of the night while trying to change a diaper!

4.  Crib bedding - I loved all of the crib bedding I saw but it's so expensive!  Instead of asking for specific bedding, I went with separates.  I asked for pink and brown blankets and crib sheets and got a breathable pink bumper.  This has worked the best for us.

That's it!  That's what worked (and what didn't work) for me!

Comments

  1. http://www.typativemamacat.com/2012/09/baby-paraphernalia.html

    I did a post awhile back on the differences between all the stuff I thought I would need for my first child and all the stuff I totally forgot even existed by my second. It is fun to get carried away with your first kid, however, especially if you have a lot of extended family doing gift buying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of this! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!