Skip to main content

Random Baby Stuff

~ My husband came to me the other day and asked about cloth diapers.  He said a friend of his told him that she saved a ton of money by using cloth diapers.  We had never really discussed it before so I was surprised by his question but now that I am a SAHM it is definitely a good thing to look into.

So, ladies, tell me about cloth diapering.  How does it work?  Do they really just go potty in the diaper or are there inserts you buy?  How do you keep them clean?  I mean, let's face it, poop can stain and his friend told him we need to have a washing machine with the middle agitator if we want to keep them clean.  Not buying a new washing machine for this!

What brands are best and cheapest?  I know Target sells a starter pack for like $80.00.  Is that something I should look into?  How much money does cloth diapering actually save?  How do I size these things?  I'd only be buying for the little guy since we are potty training the girl.  How many diapers will I need?  How many do you go through in a day?

This is the one thing that I have literally NEVER researched so any and all information is greatly appreciated!

~ The other thing I'd like to do is make my own baby food.  I had found a blog tutorial giving all kinds of information on making and storing baby food but I think I lost it.  I really think that making my own could save us a ton of money.  Plus, then I would know what's in it.

I don't even know where to begin when it comes to this, though.  I do have a baby food processor picked out but ideas and information would be appreciated.  This is the one I'd like (Baby Chef) because it steams, blends, purees and defrosts.  It seems like the ideal machine to save on time.  I also have one ounce ice cube trays picked out and the blog tutorial even shows ways to store the food in Ziploc bags.

Again, this isn't something I've done much research on so any information would be greatly appreciated.

~ My Little Man is teething HARD.  He has had a much harder time with teething than Ashlyn did.  He is very restless and very grouchy.  At four months, he already has two teeth and he has at least two more cutting soon.  We didn't even know Ashlyn was cutting her first teeth so this is a huge adjustment for us.

I use Baby Orajel occasionally but I don't really like to use that.  I have been giving him some Tylenol but only because he has had a slight fever with his teething.  His favorite thing is for me to rub his gums but I can't do that all day!

So what are some good remedies for teething?  I relied on Hyland's teething tablets with Ashlyn but I don't want to give them to him just yet.  What are these teething bracelets/necklaces/animal I keep hearing about?


Do you have any baby randoms to share??

Comments

  1. I don’t know if I’m a crappy mom but…I didn’t do anything for Dylan’s teething. I mean, I did do a couple things, occasional Tylenol, and I would wet a wash cloth and freeze it then let him go to town on that. But I mostly let him work through it because the necklaces freaked me out (choking) and I’m not big on medication unless it’s life or death. With the food thing, oh man! There is so much to learn! I spent a lot of time researching the easiest and best way to get healthy food to your baby, and only came up with one general conclusion…make it simple. Like carrots- I put a little water in a pot, throw in some organic carrots (organic everything now days), steam them for a few minutes, then put them in a blender until they’re mushy. I wish there were better online resources- maybe we can build them! Cloth diapers sound scary to me, but if I were a SAHM, I might dabble into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been to scared to attempt cloth diapering. Maybe I'm just lazy? Lol My brother in law's wife wrote an informative post n cloth diapering. It almost ALMOST made me want to try it. :)
    http://mylifeoutnumbered.blogspot.com/2014/01/cloth-diapering-101.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made baby food for Mackenzie. I just used our blender or magic bullet. Basically I just picked veggies and fruits out and steamed and mashed them. fruit wasn't always steamed though....because they are sometimes easy to mash. I'd then put them in ice trays, freeze them and store them in ziplock bags. then just heat up what I needed. I used this website http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!