Skip to main content

Day 2: Educate Us

Day 2:  Educate us on something you know a lot about or are good at.

This is a hard one.  Is there any one thing that I am really good at?  It took me a while to come up with a good topic, one that might be interesting.  I'm really good at finding things out.  I'm really good at figuring out what song is playing on the radio just with a few lyrics.   I'm really good at finding random things that may be lost.  But none of these things are really interesting. 

So what is one thing that I know a lot about and am quite good at?

Training dogs.

I realized I had a little talent for training dogs when I trained my first Pug, Katie.  I've never had any professional training or anything like that but for some reason I was easily able to train her and our other two dogs. 

They can all do basic commands like sit, down, stay, come, and speak.  The males can high five and the black lab can respond to all of these commands via sign language.  He is probably the most trained out of all of our dogs but that's because he was supposed to be a hunting dog.  He retrieves on command, which is a plus when you're pregnant and drop things non-stop.

Our dogs are also trained to stay on our property and not go out onto the street without us.  They learned this at an early age because we didn't have a fence.  The female knows what it means when we say 'do you want your butt smacked?'  She drops her butt and runs. 

There are a few key things to remember when training a dog:

1.  Repetition is key - you just have to keep doing it over and over again until they understand.  My female pug, Katie, learned to sit in ten minutes.  We just tried and tried and tried until she got it.  The more you say something over time, the more they will understand. 
2.  Positive reinforcement is best - I've never seen one of my dogs react positively to negative reactions or treatment.  They prefer encouragement and positive reinforcement for training.  No shocking them, no hitting them with sticks or anything like that.
3.  Keep yourself calm - Dogs can sense your irritability and that only makes things worse.  If the dog isn't responding the way you want him to, walk away for an hour and come back to it with a fresh attitude.  This will help you and the dog.
4.  Rewards are OK - It's OK to give your dog a treat when training him.  I would always break one treat up into tiny little pieces so as not to give the dog too much.  Don't be surprised, though, if the dogs looks for treats after every command for a while.  My dogs still do!
5.  Keep up the praise - Even if your dog is ten years old, you should still tell him he's a good boy when he listens.  Dogs don't tend to forget commands but they can be quite stubborn and might ignore your commands if they choose to.
6.  Dogs regress - Moving?  Having a baby?  Don't forget about your pooch!  Dogs generally will regress a bit when big events occur.  Just remember that they are just adjusting to the new situation and will get back on track in time.

I think that's it.  It's not the most interesting topic in the world but it can be fun.  I would never pay someone to train my animals because I know that with a little patience and work, I can do it myself!  Doing it yourself also helps to show the dog who the leader is so that's another plus.  I would love to work at an animal shelter and help train dogs but I know that I would probably take too many home with me!

Comments

  1. This is great! I was SO bad at training my dogs...I have to remember this if we ever get another one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you train my Shih Tzu? I have been terrible at training him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

A Few New Things...

First off, I have 15 followers!  I am so grateful to have more followers.  I can't even tell you how great it makes me feel to know that people want to read my blog.  Through all of the linking up I have been doing, I have 15 followers and I have found a TON of new blogs to read.  I am really enjoying reading them all every day!! In case you don't believe me.......................... I know 15 doesn't seem like a lot but it's a lot to me.  It means the world to me to have people interested in my life.  The second change is that I added a new page.  It's my Summer Bucket List .  I posted this list a little while ago but I know that I will forget about it so I added it as a page.  Now I can actually cross things off as I do them.  I have already crossed one thing off the list and I hope to cross them all off by the end of the Summer!  I guess the end of the Summer would be September 21st so I have until then.  And if I don't get them all crosse