Skip to main content

What Type of Mom are You?

I came across this article and had to share:  5 Types Moms Know

What type of Mom are you?

I like to think I'm a mixture of all four of the relevant types (LOL).

1. The By-the-Book Mom. This is generally but not always a first-time mom. She knows the recommended amount of sleep, food, dirty diapers and infant Tylenol a baby should have according to his age and weight. She knows exactly when the first teeth should appear and in what order. She can recognize cradle cap, RSV and Fifth Disease on sight. This mom is a font of useful knowledge, but should never be a substitute for your pediatrician. Also, she tends towards anxiety. Wonder why?

-----I think we are all this Mom at first.  I did tons of research before I became a Mom so I could prepare myself for what was coming so I felt like I knew it all.  Go ahead...ask me a question...any question.  I probably could have answered it.  But then you fall into routines and you realize that you don't need to micro manage every little thing.  That's when you start to turn into the go-with-the-flow Mom.

2. The Go-With-the-Flow Mom. This mom is the polar opposite of the By-the-Book Mom. She is very attuned to her baby's needs, usually calm and unfazed by a little rash or unexplained crying fit. If the baby has a diaper blowout or spews spit-up all over her, oh well. That's what babies do! This mom is good to have around as a reminder not to freak out over every little thing, but sometimes she's a little TOO laid back. I mean, letting your baby eat sand and get licked on the mouth by a strange dog? Ew.

-----I think this is mostly where I'm at now.  Don't get me wrong...one week of nothing but diarrhea diapers has me googling like crazy, but it's not worth a trip to the doctor.  My kid sits in the sand pit at my mom's house and literally rolls around the sand.  No problem...but I draw the line at eating the sand or chewing on the dirty sand toys.

3. The Martyr Mom. This type of mom is very common. In fact, I'd say there's a little Martyr Mom in all of us. She always puts herself last, whether it's eating, sleeping, or even basic personal hygiene. Her baby is always adorably dressed and clean, whereas she is usually rumpled, rushed, and guzzling a lukewarm latte because she didn't have time to eat. She will give you her last wipe or Goldfish cracker and insist that YOU pick the park for your weekly play date. She is never available for mom's night out, though, because she doesn't feel right asking anyone else to watch the baby.

-----I think this is another one that we all have experience with at first.  We are so inclined to make sure the baby comes first that we forget about ourselves.  But, like the first Mom, you start to develop routines and be more comfortable with parenting.  Yes my daughter is always adorably dressed, but so am I.  I'm not bragging, I'm just saying that I'm not letting myself go.  I shower, eat and sleep and have no problems handing the kid over to my Mom for a toddler free dinner out every once in a while.

4. The Guilt-Free Mom. In sharp contrast to the Martyr Mom is this rare breed. I know a couple of them, or else I'd think she was an urban legend. Guilt-Free Mom may travel for work, go on weekend getaways with friends and to the gym regularly, and may even have time for HOBBIES! She doesn't feel the least bit guilty because her very capable husband carries at least half of the child-raising and household load. She loves her kids, but doesn't slavishly serve to their every waking need. When you ask how she does it, she laughs and shrugs. "I just do!" You would hate this mom if she wasn't so nice.

-----I think I'm a mix on this one.  I mean, I don't really have hobbies and my husband most certainly doesn't carry half of the child-raising (he works more hours than I do).  I don't mind handing my kid over every once in a while but the few times that she has spent the night somewhere other than our home, I felt totally guilty.  I feel guilty when the house isn't clean or when the laundry isn't put away.  But I also don't feel guilty enough to not enjoy the time I have with my daughter instead.  Wash a sink full of dishes or cuddle with the kid?  Tough choice. 

5. The Perfect Mom. The one who always does everything right and always looks good doing it. She never complains, always smiles, dresses herself and her children stylishly but not obnoxiously so, has a clean house, well-behaved kids and an involved spouse. She had an easy birth and no problems breastfeeding. She even still looks good in a bikini. Surprise! This one's a trick -- she DOESN'T EXIST. If you think you know a Perfect Mom, you just don't know her well enough. Believe me.

-----I don't think I'm going to even address this one!

What type of mom are you?

© 2013 The Bump. All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. I think I'm the martyr and go with the flow mom. My kid tries to eat sand, but I usually stop her first. I mean hey, she ate a hair tie and I called my mom to first, ask if we should go to the ER and then laugh about it with her. :o) And the grocery run today....I almost went in yoga pants, but put on jeans at the last minute....my child, shirt, skirt, and leggings. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect mom - yep. Sounds like me..... Said no mom ever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am #1 & #3. LOL This was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute article! I'm probably a mix of #1 and #2. I have my daughter's routine down, but if she wants to drink half the soapy dirty bath water, nobigdeal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

A Few New Things...

First off, I have 15 followers!  I am so grateful to have more followers.  I can't even tell you how great it makes me feel to know that people want to read my blog.  Through all of the linking up I have been doing, I have 15 followers and I have found a TON of new blogs to read.  I am really enjoying reading them all every day!! In case you don't believe me.......................... I know 15 doesn't seem like a lot but it's a lot to me.  It means the world to me to have people interested in my life.  The second change is that I added a new page.  It's my Summer Bucket List .  I posted this list a little while ago but I know that I will forget about it so I added it as a page.  Now I can actually cross things off as I do them.  I have already crossed one thing off the list and I hope to cross them all off by the end of the Summer!  I guess the end of the Summer would be September 21st so I have until then.  And if I don't get them all crosse