Skip to main content

Liar! Liar!

I came across this article and wanted to add some comments of my own.

Liar Liar: 5 Fibs Pregnant Women Tell

Pregnant women are a lot of things. Beautiful. Hormonal. Glowing. Nurturing.

And bold-faced liars.

When I read a recent article on The Stir about the lies pregnant women tell, I actually laughed out loud and thought, "Yes! Thank you for saying that! Finally, some truth in pregnancy!" I knew immediately that I had to share my favorite five from the list, so here they are.

LIE 1: "I don't care if it's a girl or a boy"
Obviously, every woman wants a healthy baby. I mean, no one's out there praying for an unhealthy child, let's be real. But most women do have a preference.

-----While I agree that most people do respond with that same "I don't care answer," I can say that I have never done that.  Honestly, I wanted my first child to be a girl.  Badly.  And I would have been so pissed if it had been a boy.  I don't care how bad that sounds!  It was just my preference.  My Mom had two girls, I wanted a girl too.

With my second one, I also wanted another girl but I was less dramatic about it.  My answer was, "I'd love another little girl but a little boy would but just as great!"  And that's the honest truth.  Yes, I would love to be carrying around another little girl right now but I'm not.  I got a little dude in my belly and I'm OK with that.

LIE 2: "Pregnancy is GREAT!"
Pregnancy is hard, and even a bit terrifying. Maybe you're one of those super blessed-and totally rare-women who have the best pregnancy ever, but the likelihood is that most pregnant women totally fib about their "fabulous" pregnancies.

-----This is one lie I have never told.  My first pregnancy was far from great.  I started swelling at 3 months, I gained more weight than I would have liked to, I was moody and craved nothing but sugar.  I hated being pregnant.  I did honestly say, though, that I would gladly do it all over again if I got another baby as sweet as my little girl.

The second pregnancy, much easier, but still not great!  I don't know of anyone who likes feeling like they got hit by a train every second of every day.  I don't regret my pregnancies but I won't lie and say that they were easy or great.

LIE 3: "Oooo, I just LOOOVE this gift!"
Like The Stir says, "It's the thought that counts, sure. But there are some really awful baby outfits and gifts out there." And I couldn't agree more. While I'd never look a gift horse in the mouth, I cringe at some of the things I've seen given at baby showers.

-----I kind of avoided bad gifts.  The only real bad gifts I received were any character related gifts.  Like the Lady and the Tramp outfit that someone bought.  Um...no thanks.  But instead of saying I loved it, I just smiled and set it aside. 

I do think that I can honestly say that I didn't receive any other bad gifts.  People mostly stuck to what was on the registry so if something was bad, it was my own fault.  We'll see how baby shower #2 goes!

LIE 4: "I Quit Smoking"
There is nothing good about smoking during pregnancy, and everyone knows it. And because smoking is an incredibly hard habit to quit (Christ, do it for your baby!), many women will simply say they've quit to appease you - but one news article claims many actually don't! Indeed, the report points out that despite known risks, 1 in 5 women smoke while pregnant.

-----Well I quit smoking.....like 3.5 years ago.  I can't lie and say I didn't enjoy smoking.  I did.  And I always told my husband that I would quit when he got me pregnant.  Boy am I glad I didn't wait to quit.  Some medical issues caused me to quit long ago and I'm glad for that.  I can't imagine what I would have been like, pregnant and fighting of bouts of nicotine withdrawal.  That would have sucked even worse for my husband. 

LIE 5: "I Haven't Decided on a Name"
LIAR! LIAR! LIAR! Your baby is going to be in this world within four weeks, and you don't have any name ideas yet!? I call B.S.! Just fess up and admit that you're not sharing the name yet.

-----We had decided on a name, we just decided not to tell anyone.  We had a tough time agreeing on a name but when we finally did, we loved it.  We knew that it was different and we knew that people would have their opinions and we didn't want to hear them.  So we kept the name a secret until she was born.  And we were very open about it.  When people asked about the name, I didn't hesitate to respond with "We have a name but we are keeping it a secret because we don't want to hear your dumb ass opinion about it."  Sure, some people were offended.  I don't really care.

I kind of wish we had done the same with the second one but we didn't.  Even though Baby #2 has a simple name, people are still quick to jump in with their opinions on why we shouldn't be naming our kid Bryan II.  I mean people are actually asking me what to call him since I have banned the names Jr and BJ.  I call him Deuce.  Because that's just soooo much better than Jr or BJ.  Ha!

I think my husband is just looking foward to the day that he can say "Hey #1" and his son can reply "Hey #2."  Bonus points if you can name the TV show that's from.

- Article By Alea Mass

What are your thoughts on these lies??

Comments

  1. Fun article. I think it is mostly right too even though I think I'm overly polite and do say I loooove every gift no matter what.

    And we have a name for Squish. We are just saving it so we don't hear people's dumb opinions! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!