Skip to main content

So What Wednesday

Life After I Dew


So what if I call my kid Chunk. 

It has recently been brought to my attention that the nickname 'Chunk' might be a little less than desirable.  Now I don't usually care about what people think but my own husband hates the name.  He hasn't really given me any particular reason as to why he doesn't like the name he just says he doesn't like it. 

The other person who questioned the name asked what happens if the name sticks with him.  What happens if in ten years, fifteen years, twenty years people are still calling him Chunk?  That may or may not be damaging to him because it can give him a bad body image. 

So I took to Instagram and I got pretty much the same reaction from everyone.




He's my kid and I should call him what I want.

Here's my thing.  I don't call my kid Chunk because he's fat.  Yes, he's a big baby.  He's six months old and weighs 20lbs.  He's a big boy.  But he's not fat.  He's solid.  I started calling him Chunk mainly because of his legs.  The boy has got some serious pork chops.  And I love them!  I love that I have a big, solid baby.  I also call him my sumo baby because of his legs, I just don't hash tag all of his pictures with that.

And, even though it's a total contradiction, I do call him my little chunk.  And no one else calls him that.  Well one other person calls him that but she's really the only one.  Bonus points to her if she can call herself out LOL!  I don't really care if other people call him that.  I think it's a cute nickname!

The point is, I'm not trying to make my kid feel bad by calling him chunk or by hash tagging all of my photos #chunk.  I just like the nickname.  He's my little chunk.  If the name sticks and stays with him when he's older, it will be up to him to decide whether or not it's ok.  If he comes to me and tells me I'm making him self conscious because of the nickname, then I think I have a bigger parenting issue to deal with.

While I can understand and appreciate the questioning behind the name, I can assure everyone out there that this is just a cute little nickname and it will not effect the way he thinks about himself as he gets older.  As I said in my IG feed, it's my job as his parent to assure him that it's just a nickname, not a description. 

And let's face it, it really could be much worse. 

Do you have any cute or offensive nicknames for your kids? 


Since the person who questioned the name may or may not read this, I just wanted to add this little side note.  I am not upset or offended by your question.  I appreciate that you are thinking of my son and his future feelings.  I just wanted to get other opinions on the subject to see if others felt the same way.

 

Comments

  1. My brother's baby nickname was porker because of his cheeks (much like my chubby cheeked cherub). It stuck for about 5 or 6 years but it eventually went away. My brother ended up being very tall and very skinny too...well, until recently, now he looks 7 months pregnant with a beer baby. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I say SO WHAT!!! It's not offensive, though I did crack up when you called his thighs pork chops-hahaah! I called Dylan a chunk monkey quite a few times but no nicknames really stuck other than "dizbaby" (DIZ are his initials), and "my little big boy." I really don't like when my husband calls dylan "fatboy" but I'm going to let them work through that together lol Chunk is so cute! If he gets offended later on, you can always say, "but honey, when you were born you took a big chunk of my heart!" lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!