Skip to main content

And Then There Were Two

I've heard so many people tell me that bringing a second child home was not nearly as hard for them as bringing the first child home.  That they at least had some kind of idea as to what they were doing the second time around.

This was not true for me at all.

I had no issues bringing Baby Girl home.  I was never nervous about how I was going to take care of her.  I never had any doubts about how I'd adjust to having that little girl in my life.  My husband was the 'are they really letting us leave with this kid' type.  I was not.  I knew it would all be great.

The second kid?  Scared. The. Shit. Out. Of. Me.

Why? 

I really had no idea how I was going to divide my time.  How do I take care of the baby and not piss off the toddler?  How do I keep the toddler busy and make her feel like I'm not ignoring her?  How do I make sure she doesn't resent her baby brother because he takes up too much of my time?

And then there's her reaction.  How was she going to react to a baby brother?  Would she be attentive or would she be resentful?  Would she want to help out with him or not be bothered?  How would she adjust to not being the only child anymore? 

I was so scared that Baby Girl would hate her brother and would start to resent him or us.  I was scared that I would be so attentive to the baby that I would forget about Baby Girl and that she would see that.  She's always been such a great little girl so I was really scared.

There was really only one time when Baby Girl almost hurt her little brother and I don't really think she was doing it on purpose.  It really scared me but she never did anything like it again after I explained to her that it was bad and that she could hurt him.  (She tried stepping on his chest while he was laying on his play mat.)

Most days she is quite attentive to her little brother.  She tries to shush him when he cries.  She tries to give him his pacifier to calm him.  She gives him his blanket if it's laying around.  She does such a great job as a big sister.  And now that he is bigger and more mobile, she is starting to take an interest in playing with him.  Well, stealing his toys anyway.

She is also quite patient.  She has her days when she wants Mommy's attention and is pretty demanding about it but for the most part, she is amazing.  As long as I explain things to her, she is great.

My kids amaze me every single day.  Ashlyn has become such an awesome big sister.  She is learning so many new things and she catches onto things so quickly!  Her personality is blazing.  She has her Daddy's social skills and her Mommy's sassiness.  I just can't believe how awesome this kid is.

And her brother is just the happiest little dude.  He is always smiling and laughing.  And he is such an explorer.  I just love how nosy he is.  I can't believe that in 5 short months, he will be a year old already. 

My heart just swells so much for these kids.  I am so lucky that I get to be their Mama.  I tell my husband all of the time that we are just the luckiest parents alive and I truly believe that.  They are the reason that I have such bad baby fever!  Seriously, if you took my kids for one day, you'd have baby fever too. 

And while bringing home our second baby felt one thousand times harder than bringing home our first baby, it was totally worth it.  Schedules adjust, everyone adapts and our hearts literally grow in size to accommodate all of the love.  My heart is so full.

Comments

  1. I have heard so many people talk about the 2nd child being easy breezy but like you, I don't see how that can be! I'm so nervous of having 2 kids, who has the energy, time or balance for that? People do it, you do it, but there is still a huge set of complexities that come with it. Ashlyn is so sweet and I'm glad she's the big sister she is. It probably helps that Chunk is such a happy camper that can be enjoyed and not just "dealt with." It's tough when the 2nd born has colic and never shuts up, and the first born sits there like "everything was fine before you!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just think, 3 will be easier b/c A and B will be playing with each other so you'll have a free moment or two with the littlest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Commenting Challenge!

Linking up with Jenna's Journey  for the 3rd Annual Blog Commenting Challenge! Hi! I'm Vanessa! I live with my husband Bryan and my amazing 6 month old Ashlyn in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised here and love it very much! We have 2 pugs, Katie and Utley, one black lab, Camo and one cat, Joey. Our second cat, Kitty, is sadly recently deceased (on Father's Day). I work full time as a Marketing Analyst for a supply chain consulting firm. I don't even know what that means really! I have been here for 3 years and am thinking about a career change. SAHM is looking better and better. My husband owns his own landscaping business which has been both wonderful and horrible at the same time! My husband and I know each other for about 17 years now and we have been together for 12. We got married in September of 2010, just 2 weeks shy of our 10th anniversary! We got pregnant after only 2 months of trying and last December we were greeted by Ashlyn Marie Miller,

I'm Not Gonna Lie

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE Christmas.  I love the decorations.  I love to decorate my own house and see all of the other cool decorations other people have.  There is a house down the street from us that always has more lights and decorations than I have ever seen in one yard.  It's a bit much but it's an attention grabber. I love the Christmas tree.  I love to get the tree out each year (yes we have a fake because I can't stand the needles) and I love to decorate it.  Growing up, our family would decorate the tree together with all kinds of ornaments that we had collected over the years.  I like to do themes for my trees.  Last year I did pink and silver in honor of the newest member of our family.  I'm really hoping to instill the tradition of decorating the tree with my kids. I love finding the perfect gifts for people and I love to watch their reactions when they open those gifts.  I generally wait until I have purchased ALL of my gifts, I sort them

Big News!

We have been trying very hard to keep this to ourselves for just a little while longer but I can't wait anymore!    Baby Miller #2...due 09/01/13!!!!!!!!! I am 8 weeks and 1 day I have known since Christmas Eve I am much more tired and much more nauseous this time around I haven't gained a single pound yet, unlike last time I am not so secretly hoping it's another girl If this one is anything like Baby Girl, he or she will be born mid-August I've been leaving hints all over the place but no one noticed! I am so excited!   I've already had one doctor's appointment but I was only 7 weeks so there wasn't much to do.  We couldn't hear the heartbeat or anything so the next appointment will be much more exciting!  My next appointment isn't until February 11th so that's when I'll get to hear and possibly see my next little monster!  So exciting!   PS:  Notice the blog title?!